SNA-K’s Kasarani Team successfully launched its newest project in partnership with the community radio station Koch FM this Thursday!
This exciting new partnership builds off of the community forums that SNA-K Kasarani Chapter has held in Baba & Koch to create a Community Manifesto. The goal of the Community Manifesto is to assess the needs of the community in a participatory that enables any community member to participate with their opinions. The Manifesto is intended to bring the community together across ethinc communities to identify shared needs, work together to improve their community, and advocate for policy-based foundation of politics.
The initial forums enabled our local chapter to identify a baseline of community needs as described by representative community leaders.
Now, through a partnership with Koch FM and an SMS-based survey, the Kasarani Team will bring the rest of the community on board through radio discussion and opportunities to voice opinions through SMS. This new information will be incorporated into a final Community Manifesto document that will be reviewed by community leaders and presented to political aspirants.
This is how it works:
- Sammy & Mary, two of the chapter leaders, kicked it off on Thursday by going on air at KochFM to explain Sisi Ni Amani’s work, goals, progress, and the community manifesto idea. They called for listeners to subscribe to SNA-K by texting the designated number.
- All subscribers will now be texted two survey questions each week to respond to by text. Each week will have a different theme: Security, [Theme] [theme] [theme]
- Every Thursday, Koch FM will designate one hour of its morning programming, from 9am-10am, with presenter Doreen to discuss the issue of the week and the responses that have been received. There will also be ample opportunity for listeners to call in and discuss.
- As an incentive, SNA-K and Koch FM will pick two to three people who responded to the survey to be called back and get the opportunity to talk about their opinions on air.
- At the end of the month, the Team will compile the answers into a Community Manifesto that will be reviewed by community leaders and presented to political aspirants and media.
This week’s questions are:
Many community members said that security is the numba 1 issue in Baba & Koch. Do u Agree or Not? Pls Explain. Ur coments wil b included in community manifesto!
Second question is: Which of the following will increase security in your area? 1.Street Lighting 2. Police Patrols 24 hrs 3. Community Policing
This partnership demonstrates the innovative ways that SNA-K can move forward in connecting with existing community groups and building off all the existing ways community members already communicate. KochFM was the first community radio station in the slums of Nairobi, and has a loyal following from its community. A big thanks to Koch FM for their wonderful partnership in this endeavor.
Stay tuned to find out how Koch & Baba subscribers respond to the survey!